American Heart Association Heart-Check Food Certification Program
Use the reputation and powerful brand awareness of the American Heart Association to create a competitive point of difference
Now your shoppers can feel ever better about choosing beef - the American Heart Association has certified extra-lean beef cuts that meet its criteria for heart-healthy foods as part of an overall healthy dietary pattern*. This certification allows participating retailers to display the American Heart Association's powerful Heart-Check mark on fresh beef packages, promoting beef's role in a healthy diet and helping nutrition-conscious shoppers make healthy choices in the meat case.
The American Heart Association’s Heart-Check mark is a proven traffic driver. In-store sales data reveals that the Heart-Check mark boosts incremental sales an average of 5 percent when certified products are highlighted with supporting POS and merchandising.
- More than 83% of consumers have an added awareness of the Heart-Check mark.
- Nearly 75% of shoppers say the Heart-Check mark improves the likelihood that they will purchase a product.
- After seeing an American Heart Association promotion, 45% of shoppers look for the Heart-Check mark on products.
Help Your Customers Be Heart-Smart
You play a key role in influencing shoppers and your customers rely on you for information that helps them make informed, nutritious decisions. By combining the respected reputation and powerful brand awareness of the American Heart Association with great-tasting, nutritious extra lean beef that consumers know and love, certification gives qualifying cuts a competitive point of difference in a crowded meat case.
Meet our Newest Members of the Heart-Check Mark Family
Seven fresh beef cuts are now certified to display the coveted Heart-Check mark, signifying they meet the American Heart Association's criteria for heart-healthy foods as part of an overall healthy dietary pattern:
Boneless Top Sirloin Petite Roast (USDA Select quality grade)
Top Sirloin Filet (USDA Select quality grade)
Top Sirloin Kabob (USDA Select quality grade)
Top Sirloin Steak (USDA Select quality grade)
Top Sirloin Stir-Fry (USDA Select quality grade)
Bottom Round Steak (USDA Select quality grade)
Sirloin Tip Steak (USDA Select quality grade)
These seven cuts are only the start, as we plan to continue adding extra lean beef choices to the list of American Heart Association-certified cuts as part of the Beef Checkoff Program trade association certification. With many of America’s favorite beef cuts already meeting government guidelines for lean, the future is bright for building sales and raising awareness of the positive role that beef, America's favorite protein, plays in a healthful, delicious diet.
Get Involved in a Heart Beat
By working with the Beef Checkoff Program, retailers can enjoy simplified participation in the American Heart Association Food Certification Program and experience significant cost-savings. The set-up fee is waived, and participation cost per product is reduced to $1,000/year.
Follow these easy steps to participate:
- The program requires USDA Select quality grade beef to meet the nutrition criteria. Retailers must use Select grade beef to participate.
- Complete the company application form and submit through NCBA. Contact Cheryl Hendricks at firstname.lastname@example.org or 303-850-3372 with questions.
- NCBA will submit the application form to the American Heart Association for processing.
- The American Heart Association and NCBA will work closely with each retailer throughout the certification process, which includes:
- The American Heart Association adds the company application into their database. Retailers will receive a Certification Mark License Agreement that stores will need to sign and return.
- Once the Certification Mark License Agreement is complete, retailers will receive an email containing a user ID and password to the Online Product Entry Tool. Stores will be asked to provide product details – including nutritional information and product packaging samples – and submit the required fees. Product lab tests are not required; products using the NCBA product specifications and package labels have been pre-approved by the American Heart Association.
- The submitted product(s) will be reviewed for certification. This process can take up to 4-6 weeks; an email notification will alert you when the submitted product(s) have been approved for certification.
- Retailers will receive a Product Schedule to sign and return; the date indicated on the schedule marks the beginning and end of the certification. The product’s certification expires 12 months from the start date on the Product Schedule. At this time, retailers will need to re-submit for certification.
Packaging and Promotion Reviews
Once certified, any use of the Heart-Check mark or mention of certification on product packaging or marketing materials must be approved by the American Heart Association. To begin the review process for promotional materials such as web site, brochures, in-store signage, etc., complete the Promotion Review form and email a copy of the materials to email@example.com. The review process takes approximately 3 weeks.
- For review of changes to product packaging, submit a pdf to Kimberly.Pruitt@heart.org.
- Further information including graphic specifications and policies are available in the Application Packet.
Turning Insight into Action
In the toolbox to the right, you’ll find the program elements to appeal to your health-minded customers and boost beef sales such as on-pack labels and POS which can be purchased for use upon certification.
- Leverage the marketing power of one of the most trusted nutrition icons on food packaging today
- Reinforce the power of extra lean beef and create added awareness of extra lean beef cuts
- Appeal to health-minded shoppers and demonstrate that you care about their food choices
- Support from the Beef Checkoff retail marketing team throughout the American Heart Association Food Certification application process
A recent in-market test with two select retailers, a middle-America grocery chain and a regional grocery chain across the Southeast, evaluated the impact of our American Heart Association Certification program elements on consumer awareness and shopping behaviors. This study found consumers very receptive to spotlighting cuts with an American Heart Association certifi¬cation on-pack.
A summary of the in-market test can be found in the toolbox to the right.
*Based on 4 oz raw/ 3 oz cooked (as product packaged)
Please note that the Heart-Check Food Certification does not apply to recipes or links to other information] unless expressly stated. For more information, see the AHA nutrition guidelines at: heartcheckmark.org/guidelines.