Retail Beef Sales by Production Claims
We’ve used retail scanner data to create the charts below showing the volume of beef sold in retail with various production claims appearing on-pack such as organic, naturally-raised, no antibiotics, etc.
The first chart measures quarterly sales dollars; the second measures quarterly sales volume.
Interested in learning more or seeing how this compares to previous years? Click here to view the detailed breakdown.
Selected Production Claim Definitions
- Naturally Raised: Raised entirely without growth promotants (including hormones) and antibiotics, and has never been fed animal by-products
- Organic:Animals raised with 100% organic feed; provided with access to the outdoors; no antibiotics, growth hormones, GMOs, ionizing radiation, or sewage sludge in production and handling
- No Antibiotics includes the following:
- No Antibiotics Used: Product raised solely without antibiotics
- Not Fed Antibiotics: Product raised without feeding sub-therapeutic levels of antibiotics
- No Hormones includes the following:
- Not Fed Hormones: Product raised without administering any hormones through feedstuffs
- No Hormones Used: Product raised solely without administering supplemental hormones
- Grass Fed: Livestock raised on grass diet throughout life cycle. (Also referred to as Grass Finished)
- (Note: Beef that carries multiple claims, such as “Organic, Grass Fed” would meet both the Organic and Grass Fed definitions above)
Contact us with any questions about this data.